As an agency that specializes in atlanta web design, we’re asked all the time about what it takes to create a successful, efficient, and highly functional website.
If there was a magic formula for good website design, we’d tell you.
The truth is, there’s a lot of moving parts that go into website design services, from the overall design to the user experience.
The good news is that we’re going to share these proven tips, tricks, and hacks–52 of them to be exact–that encompass every aspect of the website design process.
Here we go:
- Limit the number of colors that you use on your website. As a rule of thumb, stick to 2 or 3 colors.
- Make your logo a focal point in your website design. Your logo is critical to your branding strategy and is a major point of recognition.
- Pay attention to text contrast. It’s important that your website visitors are able to read your content.
- Use a grid to keep the content on your webpage organized. Typically, a 1 to 2 column grid works best.
- Keep it simple. Making the most of whitespace can help you to captivate your audience and focus on the essentials of your website.
- Stay up to date with the latest website design trends.
- If you buy a theme for your website, try to stray away from using the provided content. Unique and original is always best
- Take proper security measures to make sure that your website is protected, always.
- You have 5 seconds to make the value of your website clear to your visitors. Use a design that immediately draws your visitors in and piques their curiosity.
- Use responsive design to provide for an optimal user experience, regardless of the type of device (smartphone, tablet, PC) used to access the website.
- Create a website design that offers easy navigation for users to quickly find what they are looking for.
- Choose scrolling over clicking to help guide website visitors through your brand’s story.
- Make the flow of your website crystal clear so that your visitors will know which actions to take next.
- Get rid of the clutter. Not only does it look professional, but it also creates a distraction for your visitors.
- Make your CTA buttons unavoidable to click.
- Choose fonts that can be easily read, regardless of the type of device being used to access your website.
- Confirm that all internal and external links on your website are working.
- Use anchor text to give your website visitors some quick information about the page they are about to go to.
- Make sure that all external links open to a new window by using target=”_blank”.
- Keep your capture forms as short as possible to encourage more visitors to share their contact information with you.
- Take advantage of auto-complete forms to capture valuable lead information. This makes it so easy for your visitors to opt-in to share their information with you.
- Include contact information for your business on every form on your website.
- Keep in mind that your homepage is only the doorway to the subpages on your website where your visitors will take action.
- Quality content is key and needs to clearly communicate your message. If you’re not making quality content a priority, your website will undoubtedly fail.
- Break up content into short, easily digestible 1-2 sentence paragraphs so that you don’t overwhelm/turn off your readers.
- Use quality images. Remember that a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Use video to more effectively explain your product or service to your audience.
- Update your website regularly with fresh content to show your website visitors that you have an active and thriving business.
- Maintain a business blog. Not only will this help keep your website active, but it will show your audience that you know what you’re talking about. This also can help you tremendously with search rankings.
- Have an active presence on social media sites to drive qualified traffic to your website.
- Always make sure that there aren’t any spelling or grammatical errors before publishing content. Such mistakes can cause you to lose credibility with your audience.
- Design every page on your website as if it were a landing page.
- Always keep SEO in mind when creating content for your website.
- In regards to search rankings, remember that webpages rank in Google, not websites.
- Take advantage of continued learning opportunities to arm yourself with the latest techniques, technologies, and tools.
- Use A/B testing to determine which versions of your webpages resonate the most with your audience. This can help you to quickly determine adjustments that need to be made to your online marketing strategy.
- Don’t be afraid to outsource aspects of website design to a company with specialized website design services.
- Pay attention to the loading speed of your website. Most people will abandon a website if they have to wait more than 6 seconds for a page to load. 40 percent of people will leave if they have to wait more than 3 seconds.
- Choose images for your website design that relate to your business and industry.
- Avoid using special effects in website design as they will typically just distract your visitors.
- Always keep the footer at the bottom of your website.
- Continuously test and update your website design to best reach your audience.
- Check out your competitors’ websites to find out what’s working well. Also, don’t be afraid to look at websites in other industries for inspiration as well.
- Become an industry leader by sharing your knowledge and experiences with others.
- Always be working on your online presence to stay a step ahead of your competition.
- Make your website design compatible with new technology and gadgets that hit the market. This can show that you’re up-to-date with the times.
What Not To Do
- Avoid using flash. Whatever you want to build can be built with plain old HTML, CSS, and Java Script.
- Don’t use excessive pop-ups. You’ll annoy the heck out of your website visitors.
- Don’t use auto play on your website for music or video. Let your visitors choose to turn these features on.
- Limit ads to 3 per page. Otherwise, the ads can become distracting and annoying to your visitors.
- Limit the use of all caps on your website. Your audience will feel like you are screaming at them.
- Don’t go crazy using animated GIFs. While they can be great when used appropriately, they more often prove to be distracting than beneficial to your website design.
Whether you’re a newbie website designer or have been designing websites for years, you can certainly benefit from this lengthy list of proven tips, tricks, hacks, and best practices for website design.
All in all, it’s so important that you address issues of the entire website design process–from using the right content to the website development process–to ultimately arrive at a website that offers a great user experience.
If you’re reading through this list and are feeling overwhelmed, we can help you.
Our website design services team at LYFE Marketing can custom design a website for your business that is tailored with your marketing goals in mind.
We create high performing websites that focus on the user experience, which ultimately creates more conversions for your business.
We do this by building an attractive website that is responsive on all devices, offers high-speed loading time, and is user-friendly.
Outsourcing website design to an agency is more affordable than you would think.
Please contact us at LYFE Marketing to get any of your questions about website design answered.